Our vision and mission is to bring digital to every person, home and organization for a fully connected, intelligent world.
About Huawei Research and Development UK Limited
Founded in 1987, Huawei is a leading global provider of information and communications technology (ICT) infrastructure and smart devices. We have more than 194,000 employees, and we operate in more than 170 countries and regions, serving more than three billion people around the world.
Our vision and mission is to bring digital to every person, home and organization for a fully connected, intelligent world. To this end, we will drive ubiquitous connectivity and promote equal access to networks; bring cloud and artificial intelligence to all four corners of the earth to provide superior computing power where you need it, when you need it; build digital platforms to help all industries and organizations become more agile, efficient, and dynamic; redefine user experience with AI, making it more personalized for people in all aspects of their life, whether they’re at home, in the office, or on the go.
This spirit of innovation has led Huawei to work in close partnership with leading academic institutions in the UK to develop and refine the latest technologies. The company’s commitment to investment in R&D in the UK, through university partnerships or bespoke facilities such as the photonics centre in Ipswich, will keep the country at the forefront of global digital innovation. And through this commitment, the UK will play an increasingly significant role in helping Huawei to develop the technologies of the future that will transform the way we all communicate, work and live.
For the past 30 years we have maintained an unwavering focus, rejecting shortcuts and easy opportunities that don’t align with our core business. With a practical approach to everything we do, we concentrate our efforts and invest patiently to drive technological breakthroughs.
This strategic focus is a reflection of our core values:
- staying customer-centric,
- inspiring dedication,
- Growing by reflection.
Huawei Research and Development UK Limited Overview
Huawei’s vision is a fully connected, intelligent world.
To achieve this, we work to inspire passion for basic research around the world. Our combined passion drives development across the global innovation value chain. Huawei has the largest Research and Development organization in the world with 96,000+ employees in research centers around the globe. In the UK, we already have design centers in Cambridge, London, Edinburgh, Ipswich and Bristol. We continue to explore and define new research directions and new services. We have expanded our collaborations with academic researchers; researched new network architectures, integration of communications and key enabling technologies; and developed the fundamental theories of these technologies. We invite you to join us on this exciting journey and drive your career forward.
We are seeking a highly motivated performance engineer to join our workload modelling team to work on design and implementation of methodologies and tools for workloads modelling and simulation with primary focus on AI. As a performance engineer you will work on characterization of workloads, defining methodology of tracing and reduction of large-scale AI models for various content to speedup simulation and performance projection. Additionally, this role will include architectural studies and software/hardware co-optimization to define requirements for upcoming processors and accelerators.
- The role we are seeking to fill is for a senior Technical Expert with a profound background in workload modelling and CPU/NPU Architecture.
- This expert will be a key member of a team at the forefront of CPU/NPU development.
- Responsibilities will include planning and implementing tool systems for architectural exploration and performance analysis. Additionally, the role involves driving software/hardware vertical integration and planning software/hardware co-optimization features for next-generation processors.
- The ideal candidate should possess a strong understanding of CPU/NPU architecture and workload extraction, as well as a good grasp of compiler, binary analysis, and software/hardware co-optimization.
- Engage in the investigation of cutting-edge, high-performance server CPU/NPU core and SOC architecture design, contributing vital data support for crucial decision-making processes.
- Design and execute the implementation of relevant tool systems for the exploration of architecture and the analysis of performance.
- Develop strategies for software/hardware co-optimization features and lead the integration of software and hardware components for the next generation processor.
- Construct a non-intrusive, highly accurate system for characterizing and modelling complex workloads, ensuring precise workload representation.
- Analyse and extract the distinctive features of real-world scenario workloads, delivering essential insights to our in-house chip development department.
- Possess extensive industry experience in workload modelling and the development of CPU/NPU architecture.
- Skilled in performance projection and architectural exploration using SoC simulators.
- Proficient in the development of Slicing Tools.
- Skilled in developing and utilizing performance simulators, including GEM5 (O3 model), Sniper, and others.
- Proficient in benchmark analysis and characterization.
- Experience in GPGPU performance analysis
- Great knowledge of theory and practice of deep learning, computer vision, natural language processing, or computer graphics
- Strong programming skills in languages such as C++ and Python. Experience with frameworks like TesorFlow, PyTorch
- Strong grasp of binary analysis, and software/hardware co-optimization techniques.
- Excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills
Considered as a plus
- Experience in developing for QEMU and DynamoRIO (or x86 PIN).
- Experience in developing and using performance simulators like GEM5 (O3 model), Sniper or others
- Experience with CUDA or OpenCL programming is a plus
What we offer
- 33 days annual leave entitlement per year (including UK public holidays)
- Group Personal Pension
- Life insurance
- Private medical insurance
- Medical expense claim scheme
- Employee Assistance Program
- Cycle to work scheme
- Company sports club and social events
- Additional time off for learning and development